Sunday, May 01, 2005

Get a Life Across the Galaxy

Loved the Hitchhiker movie! I’d follow Zaphod around the universe any day – he was sufficiently babe-a-licious! Heard he used Freddie Mercury as one of his role models when developing the character, and I noticed the trademark black nail polish on one hand. Got excited when I saw Alan Rickman’s name in the opening credits, but unfortunately, he was just the voice of depressed robot Marvin. Better than nothing, I suppose. Although nothing like the
book(s) (how could it be), I thought they did a nice job of creating a cute story and some funny incidents. Not too bad.

I really relate to Arthur more than ever, what with him lying down in front of the steam rollers set on demolishing his house for a bypass, and needing the advice, "Don't Panic". My next mission is to discover an endangered plant, lichen, or Ivory Billed Woodpecker nesting site on the land under development. It’s my only hope.

Coming attractions looked good as well. Usually I can weed out the trailers that are giving all the best stuff away, and dislike more than a few of the offerings, but this time I think I would see two out of the three they showed. The new Star Wars was one. After Jar-Jar, I’ve pretty much given up on Lucas, but I will see this on the big screen just for some of the space scenes. After the last release, I don’t even expect a plot, much less a coherent one. The writing (LUCAS) is so stilted. It didn’t bother me when the first one came out, as I was much younger and dazzled by the effects. It was a straightforward story and the first two were very well-done, if not terribly literate. It was a space opera, a western; it didn’t need to be deep. But now we are facing the question of what made Darth Vader Darth Vader. How did he turn to the dark side? I expect this to fail spectacularly. Whereas I had no problem with the answer to the life, the universe and everything being 42. Makes sense to me.

Another preview was for the Pink Panther remake – a difficult proposition if ever there was one. But Steve Martin might just be able to carry this off, it looked rather amusing.

The new Herbie movie stars Lindsay Lohan, reason enough for me to skip it. It also has cartoonish special effects, another no vote. But I love the whole concept of Herbie, and he mysteriously now has a spoiler and a lot more horsepower, so I can’t dislike it completely. Just not in the theaters. Wait for cable.

That’s all for now, I have to research endangered species of Illinois. Fortunately, Sarcastica Sardonicus is not one of them. Remember, as Al Frankin says, it’s still satire, even if the target of that satire doesn’t get it.


What I’m Reading: A Brief History of Time
What I’m Watching: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
What I’m Recommending: Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Stay Away From: Lindsay Lohan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you aren't devious enough... walk through the place as people are buying and ask "wow, how did they get rid of the termite colonies