Thursday, May 26, 2005

And in Other News...

Today’s Headlines

Convicted Child Molester Found Dead – foul play not suspected

Yeah. How hard did they look for it?

Higher Gas Prices and Construction Awaits Drivers

Well, if G.W. would bring the troops home from Iraq and put them to work repairing the roads, bet we’d see an improvement in both

Runaway Bride Faces up to $11,000 in Fines

Oh, I’m sure she’ll pay it; she’s always followed through on her commitments before…

Secret FBI Records Cite Quran Abuse Allegations

But does anybody apologize to Newsweek? Noooooo….

That whole situation ticks me off beyond belief. I support Newsweek, and I’m so far in the minority, I doubt it even pays to detail why. Newsweek bowed to government pressure, which proves who controls the press. I can’t help but think the government WANTS things like the photos and reports of abuse aired. It furthers their end to create a showdown between Christianity and Islam, and a few innocent people like myself will suffer. Support Atheism. It’s a non-prophet religion.

Interesting moral dilemma of the week: Saw a TV news segment on a former newscaster who faces prison time for the solicitation of sex from a minor. The story goes: a family man and professional TV newscaster enjoys Internet chat rooms and ‘talking dirty’ with the people he meets online. One profile he checks out is that of a 15-year-old girl. He starts a correspondence with her, including sexual talk. After a very long time of this (a year? I don’t recall) he arranges a face to face meeting with her, supposedly for sex. He shows up at the apartment address he was given, where police arrest him. His version of the story is he thought it would be a much older woman awaiting him, not a 15-year-old. His wife is standing by him, as are his two young girls.

What should his punishment be? He faces jail or probation of course, but he also fears having to register as a sex offender the rest of his life.

Now, I’m very happy a crime was prevented. I didn’t get to see any of his conversations, but I doubt his defense. Why not meet the woman for coffee first, if he understood people on the net misrepresent themselves?* He should certainly be punished. Hopefully, to the extent he will not repeat the crime. But do I think he should register as a sex offender? No. No crime was committed. Just the intent. If I buy a gun while thinking of murder, then change my mind, was a crime committed? This falls into the whole area of entrapment, and it can only go so far.

Speaking of entrapment, wonder if Mr. Right will try to get me to help with this whole stain the house project? I’m all for being a do-it-yourselfer if it saves a few bucks. Heck, I’d embalm a family member myself if possible. I’ll bet formaldehyde in 55 gallon drums is pretty reasonable, and I’ve seen a few episodes of CSI…

Staining sounds pretty dull. I’m from the MTV generation. More than 30 seconds of something causes my mind to wander. Reason #456 as to “Why I’m Not a Famous Author”.


*I’m actually a loving, giving, sweet charitable person who thinks of others first; nothing like my on-line persona. Ha!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

um, newsweek reported from one source? bad journalism, no cookie. AND the reported violations are not quite tearing up a Koran and putting it in a toilet... more bad journalism, no milk either.

Get A Life! said...

I disagree. It was a trusted souce that had been correct in the past. You are correct - one source does not a story make, but Newsweek ran the story by other experts who did not challege the statement. Koran desecration has been documented.