Monday, May 30, 2005

A Blog About Nearly Everything!

Just had some of that ‘seedless’ watermelon…

A) it has seeds
B) it is nowhere near as good as ‘regular’


I’d like one of those square watermelons, much easier to put in the fridge.

Still reading “A Short History of Nearly Everything”, and it’s quite superb.
One of the more thought provoking little tidbits is the history of lead additives – especially in motor fuel. It detailed how GM, DuPont and Standard Oil conspired to use lead to stop engine ping and knock when they knew full well it was killing a staggering amount of workers (and a vast many more were left permanently impaired) in their poorly ventilated shops. Also loved the part where the U.S. (joined by just about every other nation that had radioactive waste) dumped barrels of deadly goo off the shore of California and about 50 other ocean sites around the world for years. If the barrels floated, the Navy gunners would shoot the barrels full of holes to sink them, thus letting all the waste out…. These were not special-lined barrels, designed to withstand an atomic blast, just run-of-the-mill 55 gallon drums. If nothing else, the book convinces you mankind is but a flash on the planet, soon to destroy himself or be destroyed by the inevitable march of time. At any time a volcano, virus or asteroid could wipe us all out. Periodic mass extinctions on earth are normal operating procedure, and I for one feel better knowing mankind will most likely be wiped out with very little trace. Why so cynical? Look around.

Not much time to write today – it was a warm, perfect sunny day! After so many cold and wet ones, it was especially welcome and I took the opportunity to put on my Red, White and Blue bikini (in honor of the holiday) and bask a little. I have no desire for a tan – my complexion is ‘three days dead’ and can only be upgraded to ‘Casper the friendly Melanoma’ with prolonged exposure, but I do need to feel the sun to charge up my internal thermometer, just like my pet reptiles.

Got the Vette out for a little. Need more ‘nice weather’ time to give it a full detailing and coat of polish. It will soon be ready for local cruise nights and low-pressure car events. A Corvette show like Bloomington Gold would never accept my car, but I love it just the same and intend on driving it. I have long wanted to start my own website ‘needanothervette.com’ to solicit funds so I can buy her a little sister. Perhaps I should work on that a bit…

No comments: