Monday, August 28, 2006

Purely Patriotic (and desperate to get published)

Imagine you are an editor at Harper Collins publishing. You need to sign a hot new talented writer to boost your bottom line. Do you option the disgruntled Midwestern gal who rants about the evils of development and how much tinfoil her spouse uses? Or the patriot who joined the military in her forties and gets deployed to Iraq? Yep. That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Fortunately, the military has now upped the enlistment age to 42! Yes, that would be the answer to life, the universe and everything. I'd even have to do fewer sit-ups than my twenty-something counterparts. Whew!

Here's a story about a mom who joined with her daughter.

You go mom!


Can't wait for that recruiting officer to ask for a birth certificate and I flash my AARP card...

1 comment:

The dykes next door said...

Hey, I've got one of those too. (not a mother, but an AARP card). I envisioned myself using it for tremendous discounts and special treatment at many commercial establishments, but so far I haven't had the opportunity to use it. The interesting thing is that I listed my wife (who is 42)as my spouse, and they sent her a spouse card. So she gets 8 years free! I thought that it was great that they accept same-sex partners as spouses! Being old is cool nowdays!