Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Red, White, and Brown


The Friday before Memorial Day I decided to wear patriotic colors to work; which is a nice gesture of course, unless you're a total klutz like myself and have an iron-clad obligation to spill coffee on whatever white articles of clothing you may be sporting.

I sheepishly called Al from work and thanked him for the coffee, noting there were now brownish blobs all over my outfit where I tried to rub out 'Hazelnut Supreme' with a limp paper towel from the restroom. Ever chivalrous, Al offered to stop by on his way to the golf course and drop off some new pants.

What a nice offer! Since I wasn't meeting with any clients, I declined. No one would notice a few spots. I mean, the way I dress, no one would blink if I showed up in scuba fins one morning. They'd all figure it was the hot thing on the Paris runways and keep typing.

But what if I did have a big meeting that day, and needed some emergency duds? How on earth would the fashion editor at Vogue send the Computer Geek with a pocket protector into her closet for a replacement outfit?

At my house, it would sound a lot like this:

(Via Cell Phone)
Me: Ok, honey, first I want you to get some string.

Al: String?

Me: String. Tie one end to the door knob of my closet, and the other end to your belt loop. I don't want you getting lost, and bread crumbs would attract ants.

Al: Just tell me what you want.

Me: White Capri pants. West Wall, left side.

Al: Ok.

Me: No, not those! Those are winter white!

Al: I haven't touched anything yet!

Me: I don't want anything yellowy or wooly...

Al: Yeah, yeah. White pants.

Me: Capri Pants!! The short ones.

Al: You're five-foot-one. They're all short.

Me: The short-er ones!

Al: Ok, got it.

Me: Not the ones with black trim!

Al: What?

Me: I have on Navy. Black piping would clash. Solid white ones, cotton, short... do they have belt loops?

Al: What?

Me: I'll need a belt, if so. A red belt, or a navy one with silver buckle... helloo?? Hellloo???

Hmmm... patriotic, yet coffee-resistant

No comments: