Sunday, May 20, 2007

Non-Mothers Against Madness

I've had it. First, my favorite decongestant is moved "behind the counter" so that meth-heads can't buy it in quantities sufficient to cook up a lethal explosion in their kitchen.

Now, a mother is campaigning to have dextromethorphan moved as well.

MARENGO – Tina Holley’s teenage daughter nearly died this week after overdosing on potent cold medication.

Now Holley wants to make sure that other teenagers in her town won’t be able to get their hands on Coricidin Cough and Cold tablets, also known as “Triple C,” the over-the-counter medication that nearly claimed her daughter’s life and has become a nationwide concern among parents.

Holley, 39, said that although her daughter, whom she asked not be identified in the story, has a history of drug use and mental-health problems, she believes that the easy accessibility of Triple C was part of the reason why the girl allegedly shoplifted the tablets from the shelf of a local grocery store Tuesday and consumed 14 of them.

“[Children] are doing this because there’s an easy way to get them,” Holley said. “They can’t get to marijuana, they can’t get to cocaine – not easily and not without money.”


(Do I even need to comment on this excerpt? I thought not)

Where will this madness end? Listerine by prescription only?

I have no problem with controlling substances. Many should be controlled. But I resent not being able to buy items I want or need without undue hassle.

Several times now I have passed on buying my decongestant because I don't have the time and patience required to wait in a pharmacy line. It now takes forever to get these once-innocent pills, and it is extremely discouraging. I was looking at the cold remedies when a teenage boy came up next to me to do the same. He shook his head in disgust. I asked what he was looking for, and he explained his choices were now limited, as they wouldn't sell him the 'good stuff' due to his age. He said the alternative choice didn't work for him. He selected something and stalked off. I decided to try the 'other choice' and was disappointed as well. I have to now allot a few hours to standing in line with all the sick losers if I want to ever unstuff my nose again.

Why must this be sold by the pharmacist during pharmacy hours? Why not the check out girl? She could take my name at the front register. Meanwhile, there are other drugs that should be available to the truly ill, but are not. Believe me, just make everyone wait in the Pharmacy Line. The recreational users will think twice.

No comments: