Friday, May 04, 2007

Already Lucky!



Bet on the Kentucky Derby tonight. Well, with a horoscope like this, wouldn’t you?

“Count your winnings carefully to avoid being cheated. Some of this money will be yours to spend, but some of it goes to others.”

Oooh! The IRS?

So I bet $2 across the board on a half-blind horse. I mean, how many times do you get an opportunity to do that?

So here are my picks, if you care to play along:

Storm in May – $2 across the board
Cowtown Cat - $2 to win
Curlin - $2 to place

Stopping at the OTB parlor is a real experience. I think I contracted lung cancer just making my way to the window. Our local radio station was there at a little folding table. Last year I charmed them out of a hat. This year they had a little slot machine set up that you spun to win a prize. It was cute; they had recording artists and their disc jockeys as the little icons to match and win. I didn’t win, but the guy gave me the Kentucky Derby 133 T-Shirt anyway. Yay! Ok, it was an XL, that’s all they had, but who looks the Free Gift Horse in the mouth?

Feeling extra lucky, I decided to buy a lotto ticket too. I asked at the grocery store desk and they directed me to an automated machine by the exit. A very scary sign informed me I must be 21 to play. Not to mention literate enough to read it, and let’s face it, how many lotto addicts are? Also, the big fat legal notice was way up high. The feed the bill slot, not so much. Again, a great way to discourage the average six-year-old.

Wish me luck!

Oh, also stopped off at Kohl’s to return a broken earring and get a gift card. I earned the Congressional Medal of Retail Restraint by not buying anything past a replacement pair of earrings. Whoo Hoo! Watch that savings account grow. New Corvette, here I come.

No comments: