Monday, January 08, 2007

New Year, New Substrate

Louise hit this going-out-of-business sale at a pet store and called to ask if I needed something. Gotta love a friend that knows you love ‘markdown’ as much as animals! I decided to try something the cost had always prohibited: Reptilite, calcium sand. My guys were sitting on alfalfa pellets, and that was a great cheap bedding. I never had the problem with mold that some keepers warned about, and was able to change it frequently with little fuss. The sand was a Cadillac I had been meaning to try, and jumped at the words ‘fifty percent off’.

It’s very attractive, and was easy to clean with a kitty litter scoop. They recommend complete change every 4 to six months and it takes about 15 pounds for my enclosure. The best part really is the natural look. I haven’t seen it after a dish of water is spilled yet, but so far I love it. Especially how now it looks like little teeny dinosaur tracks. Nothing like watching two lizards exchange the: “Here comes Mrs. OCD to smooth the sand again” looks.

On another reptile note: Could Eve have been banished from the Garden of Eden for admitting the snake was more witty and communicative; thus better company, than that Adam dude?

No comments: