Sunday, March 05, 2006

Crash in Brokeback Puddle

Target Customer Base


Do check out this link detailing a tiny Midwestern city’s reaction towards a park-district application to host a rowing event for the Gay Games of Chicago. Nice to know bigotry and intolerance are alive and well in small town middle America. Most of the comments during the hour of public comment had nothing to do with the actual application, just opinion on the ‘gay lifestyle’.

Sunita Stone of Crystal Lake said the Gay Games do not fit with what she calls the city's wholesome environment.

Wholesome? I, for one, don’t consider rampant development wholesome.

"I didn't want to have to be explaining a lot of things to my kids," Stone said.

You don’t have to. Just explain there are some people you should hate. The more vague the reasons, the less they can refute them with real-life encounters. My guess is her kids could explain way more than she’d care to hear.

I just want to know what I’m going to do with that vendor’s permit and pushcart full of sparkly pink satin jogging shorts if this falls through.

No comments: