Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Why I Hate Christmas

So I'm at my favorite book store spending way too much money on books and DVDs (as one former retailer quipped, "Just once, I'd like to work at a book store that just sells books") and I walk out without taking advantage of their Free Gift Wrapping service.

What's the point of spending all that dough if you're not getting every last bit of your due? I resolve to get my money's worth next time.

So the next visit I make a beeline for the gift-wrap table. Some bored teens are sitting next to a coffee can seeking donations for their civic group. I put in a $1.30 and hand them two books. Nice, basic, rectangular, rather thin volumes. In the world of wrapping - shooting fish in a barrel.

Apparently these kids were from Scout Troop I Dont Giva Crapa or the Ambisinistrous Society or something, as I have never seen such lousy wrapping in all my life. I was totally ashamed as they handed me back the crunchy-ended packages (it's ok to CUT the paper to SIZE, morons!). The girl did no better than the boy, so there was no gender bias.

I should have snatched back my bill on the way out. What is this planet coming to?

There were adults supervising the kids a few feet away, if you call having a cappuccino and yakking with another bored mom 'adult supervision'.

Did we not have a little training session before letting the wee monsters loose? Did we flunk cut and tape in Kindergarten? If this is the best your group can produce, it doesn't deserve to be a club that raises money in this manner. I should have complained to the bookstore so they could 'uninvite' this crew next year.

To my friends: sorry for the ugly packages. I'll shop elsewhere in the future.

No comments: