Sunday, January 20, 2008

I've Been Reading

Before I Die by Jenny Downham

This book came highly recommended, and I understand some people are using it with Bible Study for their youth groups. I thought the writing was stellar, very lyrical. I didn't get all choked up and cry as I was warned would happen, but since it was a person dying and not an animal, that was pretty much expected. I didn't think it was the greatest, but I did respond to the strong father character, something needed in all mediums. I give it a B.

Born Standing Up by Steve Martin

As a Saturday Night Live fan who thought King Tut was hysterical as a kid, I couldn't wait to read his memoirs of stand-up. He's a highly regarded writer and intellectual, but that didn't seem to be on display much here. I'll have to agree with the summation of Alex Witchel, who concludes the book fails to reveal any of the personal inner workings a memoir is hoped to give. He obviously had a tortured relationship with his father that affected the whole family, but that seems to have been resolved a bit to neatly in the narrative. I'll bet simmering anger did play a role in his choice of career and lifestyle, but to hear him tell it, it was out of sight, out of mind.

If only he had written candidly about his love life! Now there's a book I want to read. As is, this is a good book for anyone contemplating stand up. It spoke about the need to listen, learn, be original and persevere. But it only gets a C. Maybe that was Martin's point. Under it all, he's just average.

No comments: