Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Saving the World One Consumer at a Time

Why I Hate Christmas, Part II

So I'm in the local Target (pronounced Tar-shay, as if you were somewhere high-class) looking for a DVD player for my parents. After the fiasco of getting them cell phones I've learned anything more complex than two cans and a string is to be avoided.

The store is packed with people who think this is an upscale shopping establishment, and staffed by employees with IQs below room temperature. I'm browsing the DVD aisle hoping to find a Fisher-Price DVD player or My First Movie-Watcher or something when I hear two women discussing a discount DVD player.

"Don't buy Trutech!" I practically shout. Startled, they look at me with fear. "Trutech sucks!! Don't do it!" I beg. "You'll be sorry," I add ominously.

Warily, without breaking eye contact, they back away a few steps. "Here, try this Phillips*," I suggest, pushing the box towards them. Not wishing to antagonize me further, they meekly take the box and scamper away.

Whew! Disaster averted. I put the Phillips in my cart as well. Do they sell washing machines here?

*Yeah, I know. Made in China. Find one that isn't.

No comments: