Monday, July 30, 2007

Taste O’ the Terrapin

After the zoo, we headed over to the Taste of Chicago to see what all the fuss was about. It was over 90 degrees that day, and let me tell you – that whole ‘cooler by the lake’ thing is a crock. It was quite sticky and – my favorite – populated. We dutifully bought some tickets and received a little map of the stands. I identified the items I wanted immediately, and headed right for the Eli’s Turtle Cheesecake. Yum! Then we wandered about trying a few other items. I overheard someone in the crowd saying it was not as crowded as in previous years. I’m guessing the heat kept some people away (fine with me) as there weren’t long waits for food, and you could reasonably make it down the asiles. I made a bee-line to BB’s for their famous turtle soup.

This young man was dressed as a turtle to drum up business. He told me he had no idea what kind of turtles were in the soup, he just sold it. Undaunted, I tried a cup. No chunks of meat or vegetables to be had, just a thick cream. Mmm….Pretty good!

No comments: