Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I’ve Been Reading

Can’t Wait to get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg

Cute, wholesome extra lite fare with sweet humor. I give it a B.

The Invisible Wall, Harry Bernstein

This is supposed to be a memoir, but I really think Harry has been down at the pub with James Frey a bit too much. I honestly suspect some of these characters are amalgams and there’s no way he recalls every detail from when he was four years old. A great story, but just that - a story. Despite my misgivings, it does an excellent job of illustrating his hardscrabble youth and what his family went through at the hands of his drunken/mentally disturbed father. It gets a special ‘Angela’s Ashes’ award for making you want to kill the dad with your bare hands. C+.

Easter Everywhere by Darcey Steinke

Somewhere behind the Department of Children’s Protective Services is a dumpster where book agents squabble like seagulls over discarded case files in the hopes of signing the next Dave Pelzer. Had a crappy childhood? Sign here and here, and over here, then type all about it.

Ok, that’s a little harsh. But true. Also big are ‘spiritual journey’ books, so I guess this one had two genres going for it.

Darcey uses some incredible turns of phrase in a mostly ho-hum book. I particularly loved when she describes her ex-husband: I felt like a rabbit trying to talk to a fish.

Hey, at least she created a bildungsroman. Can you imagine my biography? A cautionary tale on how some people never progress? Still, this is just a C.

No comments: