Saturday, May 27, 2006


While some schools are all atwitter over My Space, School Board 214 member Leslie Pinney wants nine books removed from the reading list. Of course, Leslie
has not read all of the books, but knows they are inappropriate for students. I’ll let you draw your own conclusion from that fact, but I’d also like to point out that one was just voted the Best American Fiction of the last twenty-five years.

Let’s see – another two deal with war. Hmmm… ironic she doesn’t want students who may be facing the draft soon reading about anything as thought provoking or icky as war. One is an economic book. Oh, let’s not challenge statistics. Just believe whatever the latest Fox News Poll tells you is true.

What is heartening is the fact that
500 people showed up at a meeting to debate the issue.

What books did Ms. Pinney find acceptable? I tried finding the complete list at the District's website, but was unable. If anyone can provide me a copy, I'd be most appreciative. Our buddies over at Freakonomics have risen to the occasion with a generous offer of free books to students.

No comments: