Sunday, January 08, 2006

That’s Professor DeLay to you…


I’m back! Seems I only have time to blog on the weekends, and this will be true more than ever as Mr. Right-as-soon–as-I-get-another-A takes an on-line course in Business Ethics* and ties up the connection further. Personally, after hearing his story about how he tried to pay for the course at the last possible moment (in order for the credit card billing to be applied to the next month) and encountered a computer glitch, I can’t help but think a course in Business Organization is in order here. How this type A++ personality can wait until two days before a course begins to order a book, register, etc. yet still succeed is beyond me. Heck, it’s an ethics course. Why didn’t he just kite them a check?

So what sucked up my time this weekend? None other than
The Staircase, a trial documentary loaned to my by KaneCitizen. (Read his comments here.) As for myself, I think Michael Peterson is innocent... But I would check into his buddy’s death in Grenada, just in case it turns out to be tied to a hit by a gay soldier of fortune… I mean, just to be on the safe side.

I still have season one of Arrested Development to view! Why Fox couldn’t keep this on, or NBC purchase it (after what they spent on Joey, why not go for a proven award winner and build the fan base?) is beyond me. Hopefully, they will find a home on
Showtime. Which I’m too cheap to subscribe to, but at least I can purchase these season compilations after the fact.

Trying to fit in some print/audio books in between all the other insanity as well.

My personal picks for the top two books I enjoyed in 2005 are Freakonomics, (author blog:
freakonomics.com) and A Short History of Nearly Everything by one of my favorite authors of all times, Bill Bryson.

Another blogger of note who had her postings compiled into a wonderful book, Baghdad Burning, is Riverbend, be sure to visit her here:
riverbendblog.blogspot.com

I also read Teacher Man by Frank McCourt. It’s good, but nothing touches Angela’s Ashes.

I’m currently working on What Every American Should Know About Who’s Really Running the World by Melissa Rossi. It’s a nice follow-up to her What Every American Should Know About the Rest of the World. Preachin' to the choir....

Next on my list is Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. Hope it’s not too dead. Would it kill me to read it? I’ve only had it lying around for about a year. Rigor is setting in…

In audio, I’m enjoying Harry Potter (currently on book three) and have also enjoyed Kira Kira and the Mistmantle Chronicles. Well, Mistmantle was a little squirrelly for me. So Harry Potter wins, hands down.

Hey! Only one reader has weighed in on the Dewey vs. Dilbert debate! C’mon folks, let’s see some comments! Still unable to fit the cartoon feed into my sidebar, despite some 'pretty close but no cigar' moments. Will continue the quest! Until then, scroll to bottom.

*Final Exam: “State the following with a straight face: During my time in Congress, I have always acted in an ethical manner within the rules of our body and the laws of our land.”

No comments: