Sunday, January 22, 2006


Ok, people – can anyone here please explain to me what part of ETHICAL stealing your spouses’ special
sticky notes falls under? As detailed earlier, Mr. Must Get All Questions Right has been taking an on-line ethics course. He holes up with the computer for hours at a time, blocking my blogging, thus causing great distress to the masses who visit here daily seeking my wisdom.

For Christmas I received three little cute pads of Stik-Withit Brand notes with witty sayings on them like “Lets Make Dinosaurs Extinct”, “Use in case of Wardrobe Malfunction”, and my personal favorite, “What’s the use of happiness? It can’t buy you money.”

I walk into the office where Mr. Right is sweating out an assignment of write a biography of something something something. (He won’t tell me exactly what, since he says: “Do you really think you need to put this stuff on your blog?” Well, there’s the thanks I get for taking an interest in higher education.)

So what do I see? He’s opened the happiness package and is taking down little notes with a ball point pen!! All over my good stick-ums!! Oh, that’s real ethical! Stickys are for notes that need to be stuck somewhere. Mr. Right points out he would use them at work if it was the most handy item. Well, drive your employer into bankruptcy; see if I care, Mr. Ethics. Those postys were a gift. I was planning on using them for important messages like “VCR set! Do Not Change Channel” or “Buy Crickets”. Think I’ll now use them to mark “Mr. Right” on the food in the fridge most salmonella-suspect.

It never fails to amaze me how he loves little scraps of paper. Makes it that much easier to be unable to read your notes and more likely to lose them, I guess. So I make a big show of removing the notes from his grasp, giving him the post-it etiquette lecture and providing him with an old steno pad for notes. What A+ student doesn’t have a notebook? Oh yeah, I want this guy running my business. That million dollar quote? It’s on a sticky somewhere… oh, try looking on the bottom of Johnson’s shoe – that’s where our lunch order turned up one day.

Anyway, he had a paper due Saturday. That would mean submitted by midnight, a deadline he made by a full four minutes. He spent hours and hours and hours researching on line and preparing a paper. The instructor said in the syllabus that there would be a sample paper for guidance, but elsewhere under the ‘grading’ section, he wrote that at this level he did not feel an example was necessary. So Mr. Right overdid it as usual and went to submit his paper at 11:56 p.m. (he started sometime before 10 a.m. I think) where he found the sample paper in a drop down menu of the submittal screen – much too late to do anything about it. Ha! Serves you right, Sticky Abuser. Bet the teacher was going to affix a little sticky to your syllabus noting where the example was, but his wife had used his last one.

No comments: