Sunday, November 19, 2006

Price of My Integrity: Free


I tried sneaking up on the boots downwind, honey, I really did!

Went to Rockford briefly and got some Christmas shopping done. It’s so nice to have intellectual friends that READ. (Hint: don’t buy any first-run hard covers until after the holidays, folks.)

Ended up at Cherryvale and decided to go to Victoria’s Secret and use my panty coupon. Now the lines there are always horrendous, but this was holiday rush (already). There were grandmothers in their Christmas sweaters pawing through the thongs; it was awful. So I get my free cotton hi leg brief and stand in line. And stand. And stand. And wonder who might be available to chat should I make one those rude and annoying cell phone calls from the line. So some woman four places in front of me wants to open the VS charge account to get the points and coupons, but wants to pay it off right then in cash. So they ring her up to $64.37 and she gives them $70 cash. They put that towards her balance, but she wants change, not the extra credit. So…. We call a manager ( a girl one year older than the 17 year old who rung her up)… we void, we swipe, we sign in triplicate, we…watch nine people move through the line on my left while I’m standing like a sardine… I get my damn panty.

Fared much better at Macy’s, although I’m technically
not talking to them after they changed from the name Marshall Field’s. Got a free gift when I bought some perfume as a gift and also received a $10 off card to buy anything else! Took the card to another register and bought a weather station thing – it’s this indoor/outdoor humidity temperature gage that sits in your house but has an external probe for outdoor readings as well. Cool! This will be a great grab-bag gift, so another one down!

Went to Best Buy as well, and used my Best Buy Bucks from McDonalds. Once again, McDonalds did the Monopoly Game promotion. I was a mere 8 lbs. away from $500 and a triple bypass away from winning $5000 when the promo ended. Damn! Anyhoo…I had some of these Best Buy Bucks and thought I’d try to redeem them. Picked up the new Who album, Endless Wire. In the words of the best track, “It’s Not Enough”. I didn’t think it that great. There were a few good moments, but not enough. The included tracks of Live at Lyon were better, but I’m sure I was just responding to the classic and familiar that I love.

On the other hand, another work of genius has been issued by Meatloaf in the form of Bat Out of Hell III, The Monster is Loose. Not much written by Jim Steinman, but very good overall. Among the guest guitarists were Brian May and Steve Vai. Once again, the anthem lyrics take on a depth and meaning belied by their simplicity. Where else can you get a song called The Future Ain’t What it Used to Be?

Went to the Burlington Coat factory as I saw a newspaper ad with a nice olive green car coat. Place was a creepy, messy madhouse. When I got there, they actually had one (and only one) in Small. It looked really nice, but was thin wool. Not very heavy for winter. What is it with the wool coats? Fashionable, but not lined. Down is too poofy-looking. I want some hi-tech thinsulate in a nice fitted wool. Is that too much to ask? Well $109 for not-very-warm wasn’t going to cut it, so I took a pass. The odds of it still being there after January for markdown-time are long, but perhaps I’ll check back. While there, I saw these killer over-the-knee leopard-print stiletto boots for only $25.95! I frantically searched the boxes to no avail – they didn’t have my size!! I just know those monsters were watching on some closed-circuit camera and laughing at me.

Al was out hunting, but missed a doe. I told him all about the ‘coat that got away’. Hey, if I can listen to hunting stories, he can listen to gathering stories.

No comments: