Sunday, November 12, 2006

Growing Pains



Great. Our VCR just broke. I was really hoping to limp by, but there seems to be no hope. It’s about 8 or 9 years old at least. Maybe more. I wanted one with a really good freeze-frame picture quality so I paid quite a bit more than I needed to, but it’s very important to read what the little signs say during episodes of the Simpsons. I always tape the show and watch it a second time so I can catch any sight gags. So if anyone out there has a spare I can buy for $25, let me know. I have quite a few ‘unwatched’ TV shows recorded. If I buy a DVD burner, can that record off network TV or is that just for DVD to DVD transmission?

Saw an inspiring writer the other day, Judith Perlman, author of “Citizen’s Primer for Conservation Activism: How to Fight Development in Your Community”. One thing she mentioned right away was the fact that the book’s title had been selected for maximum hits on Google. Although she did not feel the book was about ‘fight development’, as she espouses ecologically responsible development, it was determined that anyone performing a keyword search would most likely use terms like ‘fight development’ before ‘conservation activism’. Her story was very inspiring, but as our local attendees discussed our unique problems, a depressing pall fell over the gathering. Our situation seems hopeless. There would be no fairy tale ending of defeating the evil developer and purchasing the property for a park as Ms. Perlman enjoyed. In a stage whisper I asked, “What is next week’s topic? Assisted Suicide? I could use something to cheer me up.” The guy in the seat ahead of me got a real kick out of it. What can I say? I’d be making lame jokes on my way to the gas chamber.

I’m sick of hearing local politicians say they are for ‘controlled growth’ or ‘intelligent growth’ or any of myriad euphemisms for “please don’t think I’m anti-growth”. Why not? Why can’t someone come right out and say NO? These are the same people who can’t train a dog or raise a child with any sense of boundaries. No is an unpleasant word. Let’s not use it. Or, to take a stand, they wouldn’t get elected. Perhaps they’ve already thrown in the towel. “You can’t stop growth”. Are you sure? Have you even tried? No, you let the developers and elected officials with self-serving interests make all your decisions for you. You don’t attack the root problems: the loss of the family farm to collectives. Um, hello, could you please take a look at say, China?

Speaking of China, the real problem is: too many people. What are you doing to decrease the birth rate? Control immigration? Sorry, but we have plenty of people and not enough spotted owls.

No comments: