Sunday, November 05, 2006

Photo Appreciation



One of many variations of the emblem

Made my way to the Mirage where they had one white tiger on display to the public. Despite the distance, I was able to take some fantastic pictures of him, but for some reason they won’t post here, they are too big. Perhaps someone has some advice as to how to save them as a smaller file for posting? Anyhoo, the tiger was quite interested in what was going on beyond the ‘door’ to his enclosure. It was a little walk door where the keepers could enter. Perhaps this is where he was fed, or it could have even been the door they had him enter the public viewing area through, I’m not quite sure. After a few minutes of photo-taking, it was time for me to head out to the Polo Club for the free 3 p.m. showing of the Bird Man of Las Vegas. Once again, you get what you pay for.

A guy came out with a few trained parrots and cockatoos, and one rare eagle, whose name escapes me at the moment. It’s the type with the frilled feathers on the neck from Africa… brown… I’ll think of it at 2 a.m. and not be able to rest until I do an update! Right when he brings out the eagle, my camera battery decides to die, so I don’t have much in the way of photos. The whole show was about 20 minutes. Oh, well.

That evening we went to the art gallery in the Bellagio and saw an Ansel Adams exhibit. I was never a fan, but the exhibit was so educational I must say I’m a convert. It cost $15 and included an audio tour. Well worth it! I really appreciate his dedication to the preservation of nature and his conservation efforts.

The next morning I decided to hang out at the pool, as the Bellagio has a spectacular court yard with three swimming areas, fountains, and a poolside café. I intended to eat breakfast at the café, but the line for the nine a.m. opening was already a block long and it was cool in the shade at that time, so I didn’t want to wait 15 minutes as I didn’t bring a sweater. I headed to an inside restaurant whose theme was Siena’s Palio horse race.

A sign on the wall explained that around the 11th century A.D. the city state of Siena had 17 military companies that upheld the state’s independence from Florence. Each ward was very loyal to its regional traditions, and had its own coat of arms. A tradition of holding a horse race began, and there were few if any, rules enforced. Jockeys could beat each other, or other horses, and a horse did not need a rider to cross the finish line first and be declared a winner.

All around the seating area were porcelain plates and ceramic tiles depicting the coats of arms, and of course the one that caught my eye was the tortoise. If you think betting on a tortoise in a race is stupid, I must hasten to add there is also a snail. So I’m standing in line to place an order for extremely overpriced baked goods, I notice a bunch of banners hanging overhead. Below them is a rack of little black envelopes with each emblem peeking out. I pick up the only tortoise on the rack and turn it over to reveal a 12. Cool! A flag for $12. I’m getting this!

Then I select my egg and ham baked in a roll, turtle coffee drink and a biscotti type thingie and hand over the flag and my credit card. $37.95. What?!
Turns out the turtle was “number 12” and the cost of the flag was $22! Let’s not discuss the $15 breakfast, ok? Fortunately there were some little jars of marmalade and honey at the swanky condiment station that found their way into my purse (great stocking stuffers) but that really didn’t put a dent into the transaction. Upon opening the package, I discover it isn’t a banner at all – it was a square scarf. I love scarves, so I’m happy, but I must note it is not silk! Although made in Italy, it is 100% polyester. Whee.

Enjoyed people-watching at the pool: fake, fake, fake, real, that’s not her father, who is she kidding, fake, fake, had work done….
They had the swankiest changing area at this pool, decorated with chandeliers and opulent fixtures, mirrors, fancy shower stalls, every thing. Very nice, I totally recommend it. Especially if some one else is footing the bill, as in our case. No way could we have afforded this on our own.

Next Post: Where can I buy some of your software?

No comments: