Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I’ve Been Reading



Baghdad Burning II – nowhere as good as the original, or am I just numb to her suffering?

Spot of Bother – excellent! What a writer! Mark made me care about a British family and made me turn pages wondering if a suicidal man would do the deed. Excellent!

Welcome to the Monkey House – short stories of Kurt Vonnegut
Who knew he could be so mundane? Stories of romance? Run of the mill science fiction? In some strange way I identify or aspire to his writing – clear, yet not afraid to deviate from the norm. Many stories were creative writing 101, period pieces evoking a bygone era. Yet a few have stood the test of time and are as relevant today as when they were written: Report on the Barnhouse Effect and Welcome to the Monkey House. Still, boilerplate sci-fi. Perhaps the genius is in the simplicity.

Listening to:


Eric Burdon. What ever happened to him? Love him. Guess I need to buy My Secret Life.

Robert Plant: The Principle of Moments. I'd buy a copy of him singing Happy Birthday, that's how much I love his voice. Although I must admit I can't stand Walking Into Clarksdale. Wonder why?

No comments: