Thursday, October 19, 2006

Stingrays Gone Wild!!!

TAMPA - An 81-year-old man remains in critical condition after he was attacked by a stingray.
Doctors were able to remove the stingray's barb from James Bertakis.
He underwent surgery to get the barb out, after it apparently lodged in or near his heart. Rescue officials say a spotted eagle ray jumped into Bertakis' boat and onto his lap - stinging him in the chest.


I told you mother nature was pissed...

So what exactly are the odd that this would happen again?

The man's son, Chris Bertakis, says "I just didn't think it could happen.
Never heard of it until last month. And to hear it happened again to our father,
it's just shocking."
It was just last month that crocodile hunter Steve Irwin died after he was struck in the heart by the barb of a sting ray.
Tom Delaney of Lowry Park Zoo says, "You couldn't even say it's a lightning strike
because it's even rarer than that."

Can Stingrays on a Plane be far behind???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is totally unrelated but you need to check this out http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/061020/ids_photos_ts/r2685877712.jpg its regarding the cops that were fooled in LA and a mock plan crash. Enjoy!

Get A Life! said...

Thank you for the link! It says Reuters, but I'm still having a hard time believing police responded - but who knows? Some dippy neighbor woke up and called in all sincerity...

What was the Halloween tie-in? Zombies on a Plane?

Lady Zeuss said...

OMG!!! Copycat attack!!!! I am sorry, but there is something fishy (sic) here. I have to laugh! I want to see THIS video! And how did this monster know to go for the human heart? Heat sensors???? Warning, Warning, Will Robinson... the Milwaukee County Zoo is having a stingray exhibit again next summer. Envision the movie we could get from THAT!!!!
By the way, my Halloween costume was GOING TO BE - Steve Irwin AFTER the attack. But even though Halloween is a basis for tacky and gross, another friend pressured me into keeping it tasteful, so I am only going to be the Original Steve Irwin -- no bloody stingray hanging from my chest.... But hey, feel free to steal my idea!
Where did you get that picture! It's great! And I like that--Stingrays on a plane. Obviously they are something to beware of....

Get A Life! said...

My loud, raucous un-ladylike laughter summomed Mr. Right who just shook his head as I detailed my great new halloween costume! I'd typed LOL, but that wouldn't justify it. Let's just say I'm wiping away the tears before going to look for a toy stingray!!!

Get A Life! said...

And if I don't win the work Halloween contest this year, I know for sure it's rigged. For readers who may not know; in the past I've been Monica Lewinski, West Nile Virus (had Cleopatra headress with dead crow) and my personal pinnacle of poor taste, Pvt.Lindie England (camo jacket and hat, cigarette hanging from mouth and dog leash)