Thursday, October 19, 2006

Price Palace

Totally misleading representation, viewers were not allowed this close to cars


So I get to the car collection and – what’s this? Enter through the gift shop? Now that’s backwards! Oh, I get it. A sign explains that it’s $5 to see the cars or free with gift shop purchase. Can’t beat that. Would have bought something anyway. Er, maybe not. Stuff is really expensive! Settle on the cheapest thing in sight, a $20 Ferrari coffee mug. Really now, wouldn’t I be better off putting that $20 towards a Ferrari F430? Whatever. Ask the salesgirl if it’s dishwasher safe. She doesn’t know, and it is not listed anywhere on the package or cup. Buy it anyway, anticipating that prancing horse turning into a faded, running-down-the-drain nag.

Enter the car corral and am immediately disappointed. As the ad copy on LasVegas.com would suggest, I thought I was seeing rare, one of a kind vehicles of particular collector interest. Oh, and they were roped off behind a walkway to boot.

Located in The Forum Shops at Caesars, Exotic Cars
displays more than 40 vehicles with prices more than $1 million. Extremely rare
and sought after, they draw thousands of people to the two-story,
34,000-square-foot showroom each day. If you want to discover more about any of the cars on display, vehicle specifics can be checked out on several interactive touch screens readily available around the showroom.

Two Story? Try you go up some steps and are now looking down at the cars, further than ever away from them. “Prices more than $1M” kind of made me think each car was worth that. Half the touch screens didn’t work, not every vehicle depicted, need I go on? I’m not even sure if the whole room full is worth a million.

It’s nothing more than a consignment shop. An assortment of exotics were strewn about and all were for sale. Nothing notable about any of them that I could discern. A Porsche, few Ferraris, C2 Corvette, Bentley, Lamborghini. Ho Hum. I took a few photos and left, sorely disappointed. What a rip off. Like most stuff in Vegas.

Went back to the hotel to meet up with the Man With(out) A Plan. Should have shopped for a clue for him while I was out. Wait, is ‘whatever’ a plan?

Hey, what’s this? He arrives back in the room with a beautiful glass beer mug with the conference logo on it! And there’s still some beer in it! Oh, yeah, he explains. There’s wine glasses, too. Go back and get me some! I exclaim. I figure I need about four to make up for the overpriced horsey mug. He tells me this is the best conference ever. They had rockin music, much of it live. The president of Cingular spoke, as did an author of business books and some other industry leaders. Oh, and for the last day, they announced the keynote speaker will be Madeline Albright!!!! Get me into this gig! Apparently the people planning this little soirée have Plans. Not to mention matching Clues. Bet their significant others weren’t nibbling the ‘airplane snacks’ they packed in lieu of real dinners. Never mind. Tomorrow is another day.

Next Post: What do you mean, you didn’t have Photoshop back then?

No comments: