Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Price Sure Snunk Up on Me


Just when did Keds get so darn costly????

Am I gettin' old or what?

As I had lamented earlier, I was looking for a comfortable / fashionable shoe. Five shoe stores later I am assured such an item does not exist. Should I invent it, it would be more valuable than a perpetual motion machine. But I digress.

Decided to get some good old plain canvas tennis shoes. No frills. Basic as can be.

Apparently after October first, such a creature does not exist anymore, at least not in my size. Evil-Mart had a few picked over size 10's, but little else. Ended up a Kohl's (hey, does anyone out there have a goofy name for that store? Like calling Target "Tar-zhay" with an affectation? Or Needless Markup for Neiman Marcus?) and tried on some trendy LA somethings and RocketDog shoes. Not comfy at all, but kinda cute. Found Keds. Tried and true. Red White and Blue (wait, let me check that package...Made in China!!!)

Anyhoo, loved the Keds. Of course they didn't have my size in the style (that was 50% off, to boot) I wanted (need to look at other Kohl's, like Louise does - it can be found). Tried some others and fell in love with the leather deck-shoe type model in tan with navy grommets. Snazzy. Very classic. $36.99!!!!!! That's "On Sale"!!!! Who are they kidding????

Ridiculous. Thank God I had a 20% off coupon. But even that didn't cushion the pain as much as their springy insole cushions my foot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Comfortable but Ugly Shoes are one of the best reasons I don't look in the mirror before I leave the house -- all those hours I spend on me feet at the zoo -- the only thing I can wear are my "Steve Irwin wannabe" hikers. UGLY! Especially with shorts, but at the end of the day..... I feel fine. And, as you well know, remember the sweet little Reef sandals I purchased in the keys, and ended up wearing band-aids for the three days after I wore them while sightseeing????? There IS no happy medium... If you're going to be cute and stylish, do it sitting down!!!!!
Louise