Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Road Blog

Hey Everyone!

Here's a quick post to let you know I am in Rollerblading heaven, Sauk Centre, Minnesota! Didn't know you could skate here, eh? Well, rollerblades were invented in Minnesota, I mean the actual company that makes the brand name Rollerblade (which is the only I will buy, I feel they truly are the best). I wonder if I could tour the factory? I'll have to ask around and find out where it is...

The trail is named Lake Woebegon, after Garrison Kellior's creations, and I guess he cut the ribbon or did some inaugural bike ride on it as a dedication a few years back.

Anyhoo, it's not often that you can say a 400 mile drive is worth it, but in this case, it certainly was. Got rained on a little, but never needed to put the top up on the Vette and the scenery is quite beautiful. Staying at a nice hotel (Free High Speed Internet Access) so I thought I'd take the opportunity to post.

Skated from Sauk Centre (home of Sinclair Lewis! Might tour his boyhood house tomorrow) and skated all the way to Melrose. Did about 18 miles round trip, and we're pretty tired. Don't know if we will skate all the way to St. Joseph, but the trail is just incredible. It's a paved railroad bed, and it is in excellent shape and very well-kept. It's not crowded at all, and very scenic. It runs along Interstate 94 so sometimes you can see or hear traffic, but the trail is so level, it's amazing. No scary hills or right angle turns. Might skip that trip to the ER altogether this time!

Saw a garter snake, rabbit, ducks and something that looked like a swan. It was huge and white, but in a wetlands pond. Didn't seem to be a wading bird, but a swan seems out of place in a swampy area, so I'm just not sure. Found a little grocery store in Melrose that let us skate into the deli area and get a slush puppie, so my day was complete.

Need to wash the Vette, there's a little road film on it from the rain, but not too bad. Nice restaurant/banquet facility next door, very friendly staff.

More, if I keep spending the big-bucks for these hotels with public computers!

No comments: