Saturday, April 14, 2007

What I've Been Reading

Higher Power of Lucky

Good, but not great. I liked the idea of a little girl on a spiritual quest who liked to listen in on twelve-step meetings, but the whole Disney orphan thing was too maudlin. Formulaic, I saw everything coming a mile and a half away, and most ten-year-olds probably could too. Makes me wonder what was pick two and three during the Newberry voting. B-

Edith Head by David Cherichetti

I didn’t care for the writing, and the subject was too much of an enigma to be truly interesting. Short on gossip, as purportedly Head was herself. All I took away was a sense of awe over her work ethic and professionalism, but I was equally saddened to think she never felt good or worthy in her life. Ultimately, the book was a bummer. C.

God is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens

But this book sure is! I give it an A since I totally agree with the author.

Looking for Alaska by John Green
Very good, a great writer and a YA novel of note. I don’t know how I would teach the novel; I mean there are others that get young people’s questions about life/death and the reluctance to live, etc. across better, but a stupendous first novel in authentic voice. A-.

No comments: