Monday, July 31, 2006


That sound you hear is me and Al Gore having a good laugh…

Well, Chicago is in the grips of a huge heat wave, and I’ve been so busy calling heat-hating friends and family to give weather updates (Oooh! Look! Six straight days of 90+). I ask them to go for a walk, and they say it’s too hot. I don’t see them calling me to ski in the winter, so I think they’re just big fat wimps who should move to North Dakota or Saskatchewan.

Sorry I really haven’t sat down to blog. It’s scorching hot, and it’s Shark Week on the Discovery Channel – it doesn’t get any better than this!

I tape all forty-seven hours of Shark Week every year, and of course I rarely go back and watch them again, but I do it anyways. I saw this year’s host Mike Rowe last night for the first time, and really like him. Cute. A bit bicep-y for my taste, but cute. (
single, lives in San Francisco...hmmm.)


Far better than the year they put Heidi Klum in a shark cage. Like I cared about that. Unless they were going to do a study to see if sharks preferred to bite thin blondes over chubby brunettes, I really didn’t see the point.

Anyhoo, he did this shark autopsy (yet never pointed out that technically, it was a
necropsy…) where they showed that sharks have no subcutaneous fat. They store all of their fat in the huge bi-lobed livers (some 25% of their body weight). This is why you never see a shark with big hips asking, “Does this remora make me look fat?”

I think Great White Sharks are the most beautiful creatures on earth (Ok, sea turtles and snow leopards are way up there too…) and would love to see one up close. Even if I have to be in a little metal cage to do it. Somehow I don’t see Sea World Orlando offering Swim With a Man-Eating Shark any time soon. But, hey, gotta compete with Sandusky for the Thrill Park tourist dollar…

We need to protect Great White Sharks, as South Africa has. My favorite segment of all time was “Air Jaws”. There’s this seal island off the coast of South Africa where 60,000 seals congregate to give birth. Huge Great Whites leap out of the water to slam into the cute little furry brown seals and devour them.
Coolest. Nature. Footage. Ever.

Tasty!

No comments: