Thursday, July 13, 2006

Stratford (Wives) Inn

Boo!

After leaving Madeline Island, we spent the night in a very nice chain hotel. Mr. Right had been hoping for a night on the island, but as he’s Mr. Plan Ahead, there wasn’t much chance to find something on such short notice. The hotel had a log and stone exterior and a great restaurant. Of course the most important feature was parking right outside the door so we could view the car from the window. This is a requirement when traveling with a nice car. Always request the first floor room with adjacent parking and ask for window seating in restaurants that will overlook your parked car. We found the local car wash (another must) and were ready for a fresh day of travel. Michigan’s Upper Peninsula was the highlight of the trip as far as driving goes. Very beautiful, very laid back. I would like to visit again some time. They even had a Yooper’s gift shop that advertised Free Restrooms. I should have stopped!

This entire vacationland atmosphere had me thinking about the people whose dream it is to open a little bed and breakfast in a resort area when they retire. You know, like the Newhart Show. (I may be Stephanie, but I’m married to Larry…) Sounds like a cool way to have a neat house and income in an area where there are no jobs, but, let’s face it; I’m not the Hospitality With a Smile type.

I’d be more likely to open the Get Your Own Life Bed and Breakfast(bar).

Me: (banging metal ladle against aluminum trash can lid) It’s 5:30! No more lolly gagging! Let’s get up and hit the road!

Guest: Wha? We just want to sleep in. (Yawn) It’s our vacation…

Me: Get your shower bucket and get a move on, daylight’s burnin’ and you’ve got a long drive ahead of you.

Guest: There’s water in the bucket.

Me: What did you expect?

Guest: I thought we shared a bath and carried our toiletries in the bucket…

Me: No, that IS the shower. And here’s your breakfast bar – do you want peanut butter or yogurt?

Guest: Oh My God! Is that my bill?!!

Me: Of course. I’m not doing laundry! You just bought those sheets. Now fold them up and put them in your trunk, I’ve got another couple coming in a few hours. Chop Chop!


We drove down the Lake Huron coast and eventually needed to stop for the second night. I found this cool place with cabins and rooms right on the lake in Rogers City. It’s called Manitou Shores Resort.* A very nice older couple ran the place and was only too happy to explain that we could hike to a light house a mile down the beach. We rented a cute little room done in pale pine paneling and northwoods art. There was a long deck running the length of the ‘motel’ section, with wooden chairs that rocked overlooking the lake. A fire pit with wood was provided for beach parties, and humming bird feeders placed every twelve feet. We walked down the rocky beach and saw the ‘shipwreck’ we were told washed ashore here eighty years ago: just some wood slats and nails, but interesting nonetheless. The lighthouse was blinking away and I was able to get some nice sunset and night pictures. We would definitely stay there again. There was a VCR in the room with a tape of “Lighthouses of the Great Lakes” where we learned about some of the lighthouses in the area, especially the one we would visit the next day, the haunted lighthouse of Old Presque Isle!

Next post: Cardio Workouts, $2.50 each

*I'd just like to point out their website misspells it Mackinaw!

3 comments:

The dykes next door said...

I really enjoy reading your blog... if you ever open your B&B, though, don't look for us...I like my sleep too much!

Do you mind if I put a link to your blog?

Get A Life! said...

No, and I'd like to do the same!

The dykes next door said...

Great! Now, I hope that I can figure out how to do it again. Wish me luck!