Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Killer Bees?

Who knew bees were carnivorous? I thought they flew around sweetly all day pollinating apple trees or something. Not anymore.

Came home from work and set about making sure the turtles had fresh water and food. On top of their chicken-wire outdoor enclosure lay a dead song bird. This is not unusual, as many birds fly into our picture windows with such impact that they never recover.

I leaned closer to see if I could determine what type of bird it was, and was greeted with a grisly surprise. The beak was hanging by a thread, and there was no head of which to speak. A pink brain was still attached to the spinal cord, all of which dangled from the otherwise intact body. A swarm of bees was furiously working on the neck and shoulder area, and I can only surmise they will strip that of flesh as well. Bleah! It was so gross, I was temped to display a photo of it here.

3 comments:

KaneCitizen said...

What, and you wasted it?

Get A Life! said...

OK, everyone, weigh in ... should I post the photo?

KaneCitizen said...

Dead bird! Dead bird! Dead bird!