Friday, June 24, 2005

A Sirius Blog

Whoo-hoo! The dog days of summer are here! This area has not had as long a string of days topping ninety in June since the dust bowl days of the 30s! About time, I say. As far as I’m concerned, this latitude is too far north for human existence. We’ve got nine months of winter and three of poor sledding. It just isn’t natural.

Spent most of the week calling up people who hate the heat. You know, those sissies who want to move to Canada and wear parkas 24/7.

I say witty things like, “Hot enough for ya?”
“Think we’ve hit triple digits yet?”
“This is the coolest it will be all day” (early calls)
“Was it hot today? I hadn’t noticed.” (late calls)
I’m a real stitch.

Canada? What’s with that? Now, a country with a low population density that speaks English in most parts is a real draw, I must admit. But paying over 60% of my wages in taxes for universal health care and never thawing out is not something that has me packing my bags. What little I’ve seen of Canada didn’t impress me. Too Expensive. Especially gas. Scenic, but that was on the one day the roads were clear of ice, July 5th.

How the cavemen did it is beyond me. Perhaps the formation of a spoken and written language can be linked to living in certain climes – did these hardy souls have 17 grunts for ‘cold’? Storytelling certainly would have been popular as a way to pass the ice age. Much written language can be traced to warmer areas. Perhaps northern fingers were too frozen to hold a stylus? Ink unable to flow?

No comments: