Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Blog Preservation Program

Made some calls today about local issues. First off, I called my road commissioner and asked him when the convicts were coming by to pick up our trash. He said they were expected July 11 and again in August. I told him how pleased I was with the program and how I’d be really glad to see that old sofa go. (Mr. Right didn’t want used furniture, so I dodged a bullet there. But ugly furniture was apparently ok, so who knows how close I came?)

Wanted to volunteer my bullwhip and vicious (well, at least to other male dogs) canine for the cause, but I resisted. The road commissioner already thinks I’m nuts. I call him at least twice a year letting him know I don’t want my section of the road turned to gravel. He likes to chop up pavement, and I worry. I notice how he beautifully paved the section of township roads that goes by the trustee’s houses, however…

I also asked about the ‘land use’ plan for the township. He claims it will be more restrictive. (More restrictive than what? Chicago’s?) We received a newsletter inviting us to hear the new plan later this month. Not two days later, the 127 acres went up for sale. Coincidence? I think not. The new plan most likely allows ½ acre lots with 132 unit apartment buildings on them. I see them naming the new development ‘Shady Oaks Subdivision’ and knocking down all the trees to put in roads. Hear they are asking a little over $2 million for the land. I’m sure for that price, there will be a toxic waste dump allowed, if desired. Money talks. Those without, blog.

Then I called the woman behind the lawsuit against our city in the case of a gravel pit west of town. The one approved over many residents’ objections (like every council decision). Seems the City Council sure was eager to approve this little project, and can we overlook the fact that some city officials were employed by the gravel company in the past? Can you say kickback, kiddies? The city grabbed the pit before the county could, yet got very little concession from the mining, about four cents a ton. Meanwhile another community negotiated closer to twenty-five cents a ton and many other infrastructure funding concessions for roads, etc. Anyhoo…

A local environmental group is suing the city (who has since said the mining corporation must pay legal fees to answer the suit) alleging that a recent survey of endangered and threatened wildlife was not conducted on the site before approving the project. Seems some of my pals the endangered Blanding’s turtles have a home out there, and could be disturbed.

I offered my support as a turtle lover and development hater, and we had a very nice conversation. Thank goodness somebody else out there loves turtles. Speaking of my love for animals…

Remember the post I did about the toxic waste dumping off the coast of California? Turns out that exact spot is the best place in the U.S. to see Great White Sharks in their natural habitat. For a mere $795 they will let tourists get in a cage to dive near them, and this sounds like a pretty neat vacation to me. Are you thinking what I’m thinking? Jaws 3-D was a flop at the box office, but a real-live radioactive monster of the deep could be lurking out there now, just waiting for the July 4th surfers…The whole Jaws meets Godzilla thing has potential. I’ve never read any of the Meg books though, tried one and found it silly.

I suppose you have heard about the massive layoffs at GM. Industry analysts say by 2010 Toyota will be the largest auto maker in the world. Well, I for one am not rushing out to buy another Toyota. Of the few producers posting a gain, Subaru was up 1.4%. Great. There goes my negotiating leverage. On the plus side, it is now my patriotic duty to buy a new Corvette and single-handedly save the American economy. Tough job, but I’m willing to make the sacrifice.

What I’m Reading: Us Weekly: Tom and Katie Getting Married!
What I’m listening to in my Car: Robert Plant, Mighty Rearranger
What I’m Recommending: Robert Plant, Mighty Rearranger
Stay away from: Fish Finders with built-in Geiger Counters

No comments: