Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Bleach Boy’s Endless Summer Project

Well, the house is now prepped for staining. Took about 20 gallons of bleach, but there is no mold to be found on our cedar siding. No living things left in a twelve-foot radius, either. The Ruby Throated Humming Bird that used to visit is now a Pale Pink Whooping Cough Bird.

Let’s see… it’s June 20th, and this was supposed to be done over Memorial Day, so add another holiday for the Fourth of July, carry a few more rounds of golf and… Labor Day. Yep. Labor Day. That’s when it will be done.

Saw a car the other day with about a dozen of those Support Our Troops magnets between the taillights. I can’t help but imagine another car backing out from a parking space across the aisle and becoming sucked into the incredible magnetic vortex created by misplaced patriotism, causing it to smash directly into the PC – mobile. Ha!

Oh, and for those of you who do have them on your cars…remember to remove them before washing the vehicle. Water will collect behind it and rust you car out in that spot. Also move them occasionally to prevent uneven fading from the sun. And by the way red-white-and-bluers, those little ribbons are made in China. See how educational this blog is?

The weatherman* predicted this would be one of the ten best days of the year, and I was fortunate enough to have taken a vacation day. The last three days have been perfect, and I logged about 37 miles rollerblading. Sticks and stones will break your bones, and asphalt necessitates skin grafts, but I do enjoy it so. I must admit, it would be a much healthier pursuit if not for the three ice cream stands strategically located at my turn-around point.

Got the Vette out a little this weekend as well. Took it to the local Wal-Mart, just to let the employees think Sam was showing up for a surprise inspection. Can’t wait for Greenwald’s next movie expose on Wal – Mart. I’m hoping it upsets me just enough to shop there less, kind of how Super Size Me now has me ordering only the Happy Meal once a week. I know these conglomerates are bad, so I am taking baby steps to wean myself away from their strangulating grasp. I always shop for price, so if Wal-Mart had never destroyed my small town, I still would be frugal and getting a good deal. What really upsets me is that my town has the most hideous Wal-Mart in existence. It’s so tiny and creepy I hate to shop there, and only use their pharmacy because it is convenient, not because I think I’m getting the right pills or anything.

Drove to an outlet mall across the county and was appalled at the bumper to bumper traffic along the way. Especially loved the new housing development just before the mall. There was a wooden ‘privacy’ fence that looked absolutely ridiculous; it was very long and low against tall condo buildings. At a quick glance the whole development looked like a barracks, no, a prison camp. I am so sick of growth and over population.


Another thing making me sick is gas prices (says the woman who went shopping with the sixties muscle car). I saw high-octane prices of $2.50 per gallon on the way and ended up thinking $2.40 was ‘a deal’, and pulled in to fill up. The engine ran on for just a moment as I shut it off. Did she think I wasn’t going to use the 93 octane? I would have left if they only had 92 there.

In an exacting scientific experiment under controlled laboratory conditions, it was determined that Bearded Dragons do not like hot dogs. Three out of three lizards spit out the offending meat by-product (Chicken! Pork! And Beef!) after being enticed (using the ‘beg and wiggle’ method of hand-feeding) to try a taste. Box turtles do not seem to display the same aversion to slaughterhouse leftovers, but all the results of that study have yet to be compiled. Imagine how this reptilian knowledge could have affected the filming of the movie
Jurassic Park. When the kids were pursued by Raptors in the kitchen area, they could have sung the Oscar Meyer Wiener song….



*The Weathermen however, predicted partly cloudy with scattered anarchism.

No comments: