Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Yukon Land Rush

Anyone who has read this blog for a bit knows two things: I hate cold weather, and I love "FREE". So what happens when the two intersect? Well, I guess we'll never know, as I found this little tidbit much too late to act!

ANCHORAGE, Alaska - A town in Alaska's frozen interior that offered free land to anyone willing to put down roots had it all spoken for within hours Monday.

Alaska? I don't think so!

People dropped everything to fly or drive north, camping out in weather as cold as 25 below and dreaming of homes they would build amid the spruce and cottonwoods of the town of Anderson, population 300.

Wait...only 300 people in town? Dream come true! 25 below? Not so good. Those two days of a balmy 34 above won't make up for it. Spruce and Cottonwood? How heavy?

Interest was high despite the brutal winters of the interior, where temperatures can plunge to 60 below. Never mind that there's no grocery store or gas station in Anderson, 75 miles from the regional hub of Fairbanks.

When I said I wanted to get away from it all, I meant somewhere with paved roads...

No comments: