Sunday, March 25, 2007

Too Nice To Blog!

Whoo Hoo!! New Record Set! Warmest March 25 on record!! Whee!! Sorry for no posts, had to enjoy the past two days. One turtle has awoken from her torpor, and was offered breakfast. I may move them indoors soon as a transitional step before being outside 24/7. Next weekend looks to be pretty cold and crummy, so perhaps I’ll catch up with you all then.

In brief, I would like to point out real quick that it comes as no surprise that the
tainted pet food should be linked to China, as we all know how fond they are of dogs. (See Angry Chinese Blogger for more commentary)

I’ve been doing lots of reading and really should update my list. I haven’t bought any shoes, so we must be at a ten-to-one book to shoe ratio at least.

Embroideries – Marjane Satrapi
Good, I love her art, and she addresses issues discussed by women, so I liked it. No Persepolis, but a solid C+.

Terrible Storm – Carol Otis Hurst

I loved this children’s book! The illustrations are fantastic, and integral to understanding the story. Hurst had two grandfathers weather the mid-March blizzard of 1888 in Westfield, Massachusetts. (Which means I should turn my Nickelback blizzard story into a picture book...)One gentleman was gregarious and out going, the other preferred quiet solitude (like me). Of course, the people-lover gets stranded in a stable alone with the animals for a few days, while the introvert is sheltered by a boisterous family that enjoys singing and storytelling. That poor, poor man… A-

Aya – Marguerite Aboust
Graphic novel about young women living in the Ivory Coast, 1978. Entertaining slice of life, C+.

In the Name of God – Paula Jolin
Good YA read, nicely done, but as far as the actual resolution of the story, I was a bit disappointed. Yes, I wanted Nadia to blow something up. So sue me. C+

Which brings us to...

There’s a (Slight) Chance I Might be Going to Hell – Laurie Notaro
She’s a good writer, but perhaps I expected more laugh-out-loud belly laughs or something. There were a few, but ultimately this one left me rather empty as well. B-

Teach With Your Heart – Erin Gruwell
This is the story of the teacher upon whom the movie Freedom Writers is based
Can anyone really be that naive? Yet if a tenth of the book is true, it is a fantastic story. Heartwarming. B-

No comments: