Thursday, March 15, 2007

“I saw Nickelback and I want my $250 Deductible Back”

Awhile back, when the thought of a blizzard in early March seemed remote, I bought some tickets to see the band Nickelback. Al and I love them, and they were coming to the Allstate Arena. Guess what? You’re NOT in good hands with Allstate.

Concert day dawns with snow and 30-40 m.p.h. winds. They cancel our schools. But wait! I have tickets! I must go!

Al drove my car 23 miles through the Donner Pass to the town where I work. The plan was to put him on a train to his job, and then I will get him after work so we can meet friends for dinner before the show.

After navigating the arctic, Admirals Perry and Byrd watched the 6:50 a.m. train roll away from the platform as we approached. Ok, don’t panic. There’s another at 7:26. Sure there is.

Eventually we learn that a car is blocking the tracks somewhere down the line and the next train will be delayed an hour. Great. Now we’re both late to work. I can’t drive off and leave Al, as the station is “Closed for Renovation”. So we sat watching the blowing snow until his train arrives and I head to work, over an hour late, only to tell my boss I’m leaving an hour early…

So I drove over an hour to pick him up, had a nice dinner with Ashley and Amber, and headed over to the show. The girls wanted to go out afterwards, so they took their own car. We paid $15 to park at the AA and headed into the show. I love d seeing the teenage girls with no coats and miniskirts running through the snow for the door. Yeah, you look cool. As in frostbit.

Show was awesome; they opened with Animal and closed with Rock Star. Sat by Loud Drunk Guy and What Would Freud Say Couple, but survived.

Throngs of humanity crowed towards the exits. It was going rather orderly, but it’s easy to see how you can be crushed to death in a crowd. We were among the last to get out due to our nosebleed seats. Once back to my Acura, we were greeted by a huge dent. Seems someone backed right into my car and took off. Great. Four thousand police officers directing traffic and no one saw anything. Ashley took some pictures of the tire track, but no one offered to play CSI. They just handed me an accident report and went back to looking bored.

Al encountered even worse roads on Routes 20 and 23 while driving us home. The next morning we read the Sheriff’s department declared it the worst conditions in 28 years. Oh yay. I am so moving.

No time to recover from the tragedy of hit and run, as we had to attend a wedding that weekend as well. May as well take Denty Car. Parked it right on the street in front of the Metro in Chicago. Had a great time and then had to focus on our next adventure: a trip to San Antonio, TX.

After dealing with my hateful insurance agent (I’m convinced my small town is a dumping ground for a national insurance chains’ worst agents. The insurance is fine, the representatives are idiots. This one is under a woman’s name, but I have yet to speak to her. I deal with her husband, and let’s just say we aren’t best buds) I make an appointment to drop off my car at a local body shop. I’ve never used them before, so let’s see what happens. The guy says, I thought that was a kid’s car, when your husband brought it in… Yep. No matter how old I get, I’ll always have a car coveted by teenage boys, I want people to say, “Hey, who pimped that Hearst?” at my funeral.

No comments: