Friday, June 30, 2006

Love, American Style


Oh, I guarantee fireworks this weekend! Just not the celebratory kind.

Well, let’s see now, it’s after 9 p.m. Friday and we still have only the vaguest plans on what to do with our week off. If the rest of the week looks anything like the past four hours it’ll be: Argue. Pout. Silence. Sarcasm. Meal Break. Snipe. Over react. Biting comments. Obvious overstatements. More Sarcasm. Sleep.

I shift into list-making mode. It certainly doesn’t mean that I won’t forget something hugely important, like my new camera, but it keeps me busy. By fostering the appearance of organization, I’ll look light years ahead of Mr. Don’t-Tell-Me-How-To-Pack. Who is always followed a few hundred miles down the road by the emergence of Mr.Where’s-My-Bathing-Suit-Do-You-Have-My-Toothbrush-I’ll-Buy-A-Bathing-Suit-Damnit, What’s-So-Funny?

Thanks to the poster who suggested throwing darts. I will! At Mr. Right.

Books. Must take books. Some people pact too many clothes, I pack too many books. (And return with more clothes than I left the house with, but hey, that’s a typical Tuesday for me.) So far: Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Little spiritual reading. Bucking the Sarge. Christopher Paul Curtis, good choice, most likely driving through Detroit. The Wright 3. Liked Chasing Vermeer. Rule of Four – Da Vinci Code done right? We’ll see. Finally, Man O’ War. Loved the horse, but as far as writing nothing on earth will ever hold a candle to Seabiscuit. Kind of makes you think a debilitating disease might improve your own writing…
Let’s face it; mine could use a mild case of mono…

To Be Continued

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's the 4th, and I just read your post from the 30th. I worry about you, Dear Friend. I see you haven't posted since then, so I take it to mean that you have departed on your vacation. Not knowing which direction you chose, I worry. How would I know if I hear of a "man's body found in quarry in Southern Illinois"; or "Mysterious Car crash in South Dakota - lone male victim"; or "Woman Found wandering Arizona Desert, Incoherent, no ID" -- how would I know if any of those were you or Mr.Right? I do worry about you...did you even get the oil changed in the car before you left? Good thing you're not flying, if you're taking all those books! When will you read, anyway? Won't you still be arguing? - Never mind, I forgot about the pouting silences....I feel for you, Kiddo. Hope it wasn't TOO awful