Sunday, June 25, 2006

Here Comes the… Hudson Hornet?


Of course I went to see the movie cars, and thought it pretty cute. No Toy Story, but very good, and as a car nut and Route 66 fan, it was quite enjoyable. Except for the other patrons, of course. I have vowed never to attend a public movie theater again. Or at least not until they legalize spanking other people’s children.

Disney is spending
billions promoting this movie and trying to get people in the theater. Want me there? Rate it X: “No one under 17 allowed.” Just like my offer to pay extra for ‘no kid Wednesdays’ at a museum, the “No Children Allowed” showing of a Disney film has its appeal.

But I digress.

One small complaint about the movie is the part where Lightening McQueen goes before a judge to be sentenced to community service. The judge? A Hudson Hornet, voiced by Paul Newman. Excuse me? No GTO? I am trying to find something online about them not being able to strike a promotional deal with Pontiac or something… but that doesn’t make much sense, does it? I see Chevrolet as a sponsor, yet no Corvette characters!
Ferrari and Porsche allowed their logos and images to be used. Why not Pontiac?

Once I got past this travesty, I was able to enjoy the other fine points of the film, such as the accuracy with which the cars are displayed. Sally the Carrera had a spoiler that appeared when cruising, as is appropriate to that model (the little whale tale pops up at 50 m.p.h. on the real thing).

What’s not to love with a movie staring my favorite leading man, Owen Wilson? Well, at least his voice. Reminds me of how excited I became to see the name
Alan Rickman in the credits beginning Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, only to find to my great disappointment that he was only voicing the homely and depressing robot Melvin.

The CG scenery of desertscape is so beautiful, I wish there were such a place as Radiator Springs to visit. Well, before it gets all commercial at the end. I can’t even spend 117 minutes of escapist fantasy watching anthropomorphized cars without having the evil specter of development rear its ugly head.

No comments: