Scorpion stings girl at Barboursville Wal-Mart
One young shopper at a Wal-Mart in West Virginia had to watch out for more than falling prices. Or anti-labor actions?
A 12-year-old girl picking up a seedless watermelon from a bin was stung Sunday by a tan, inch-long scorpion that had apparently stowed away in a shipment from Mexico. Another fine illegal immigrant here to take jobs from domestic wasps and other venom-producing insects.
Megan Templeton, of Barboursville, was taken to the hospital as a precaution but later released. Her father, William Templeton, said the pain was a little worse than a bee sting.
He initially didn't believe his daughter when she said she had been stung by a scorpion, but then he saw the critter scurry underneath a box. It was captured by Wal-Mart employees.
Who were not paid extra for hazardous duty... In fact, they were all made to punch out and were told no one was going home until the scorpion was found.
Most of the nearly 2,000 kinds of scorpions are not dangerous to humans.
Some are quite cute!
Richard Coyle, senior director of international affairs for Wal-Mart, said store employees believe the problem was with a single shipment of watermelons.
Oh, please. Aforementioned minimum-wage workers are now going through every crate.
"We are very concerned," he said. "This is a very rare incident. When I spoke with the store manager, she said in her 17 years she had never heard of something like this."
...Ever leaking out to the press.
Moral of the story: Seedless Watermelons are Evil. Insist on seeded!