Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Super Odds

Faster than a speeding oil slick




Well, Horse Racing has been quite volatile so far this year. First, the good news: my five-dollar bet on Super Saver to win payed $44 - a fantastic return on the second-favorite horse in a Derby crowded with the mediocre.

The really sad news is my darling Eskendereya (Es-ken-DRAY-ah) had to be retired as a result of soft-tissue injury. I really wanted him to go for the triple crown, but it's not to be. The tiny sliver of silver lining is he was sold to billionaire winemaker Jess Jackson, the same guy who owns Curlin and bought Rachel Alexandra and made the right decision to race her against the colts. (Too late for the derby, to my eternal dismay)

In other really bad news, Rachel Alexandra has finished second in her last two races. Now as a four-year-old, I was hoping she would finally race Zenyatta, but after those performances I think we all know what that outcome would be...

For this Saturday's Preakness, I'm not going with Super Saver. He's just not that good. Calvin is great, the horse isn't. Perhaps Lookin at Lucky? I haven't seen a final line up, so I will keep you posted as to my picks.


No comments: