Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Weapon of Mass Revenue

Stopped to buy gas last night. Perhaps leasing it would be cheaper. A sign on the pump said “ATM Inside”. I don’t know about you, but I don’t have that kind of cash in my account. “Second Mortgages While You Wait” would have been a more helpful service.

Am I the only one who can’t understand how 21% of my tax dollars can go to the U.S. Military – that supposedly ‘liberated’ an oil-producing nation- yet I’m paying record prices at the pump? As an American, cheap gas is my birthright. Gas should be 25 cents a gallon.

Increased prices have me doubting I will take a cross-country car trip this year. I did not take one last year either. So there, tourist traps that depend on drive by traffic. Starve without my vacation dollars. Wall Drug will have to give out much more than free ice water to get me to middle of nowhere. I need a new car, but now I am concerned about gas mileage, along with all the other factors that figure into my purchasing decision. The reason I must replace my daily driver is that my Celica can’t handle a half-inch of precipitation. I need to move to a more favorable clime, so I can drive a decent car all year round. Life is too short for slow cars. Or ugly ones.

New Car Consideration Breakdown: Gas Economy 5% Winter Performance 20% Teenage Boy Appreciation Factor 75%. If it doesn’t look like it deserves a speeding ticket while parked, I don’t want it.

Enjoying the new TV show, “Stacked”. Nice to see Christopher Lloyd again.

Did you hear about Ford Motor Company stepping forward to give money to save some wild Mustangs from destruction? Very nice of them.

DIE (Development is Evil, my little organization that crusades against all forms of growth) has swung into action again, with the news that a 600 unit housing development is being constructed on my road. I’ll keep you posted as I learn more.

So…what do you think of “Our Lady of the Underpass”, the Fullerton Avenue water stain that was hailed as a miraculous vision of the Virgin Mary beneath a Chicago city street? Personally, I’m surprised the Chicago Tribune did not identify it as Joseph Lombardo.

I hope her first miracle is to cure that wacko Trinity College student that made up racist threats to make her parents think the school was unsafe for minority students, thus allowing her to transfer.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Onionboys New Car Consideration Factors:

Manual Transmission/DOHC Engine - 25%
Sunroof/Remote Keyless Entry - 25%
Not Some Huge, Obscene, Rollover-Prone SUV - 20%
Four Doors - 10%
Reliability - 10%
Room for Golf Clubs - 10%

Chicks digging me because I have more personality than my car - 100%

Almost 10,000 miles on it now...

Get A Life! said...

My personality IS my car!

100,000 miles on my 1968 Vette

Gallons per Mile : two (downhill, with tailwind)