Monday, February 09, 2009

You Betta Your Life

This is Super, not Daytona, but it's the only picture I had at the moment.

How do you apologize to a fish?



I may have killed poor little Daytona tonight, and I feel awful about it.



I was cleaning his (and Super's) tank in the laziest and most dangerous possible way - skimming off some of the water over the kitchen sink and planning to replace about 40% of it with fresh. Things were going fine until Daytona decided he DID want to leave with the old water and ended up stuck in the sink drain - sans strainer. I went from zero to Fishcon IV in 1/16th of a second, and had to grab him with my bare hands before he slipped down the drain of death.



He was obviously in bad shape, lolling on his side with blood red gills and Trout Almondine eyes. It was really creepy to see those little eyes at a 45-degree angle from his head. I thought he was gone for sure. Lacking Stress-Coat, I threw some salt in the water and hoped for the best.



He's a little better now. More vertical, calm. Dazed perhaps, in shock from all the excitement. I hope he makes it through the night.

No comments: